Posts in the 'wedding beauty' Category
Got a question for Liz? Go to the Contact page and let us know what’s up!
My wedding is in July and although I have a lot of time before I walk down the aisle, I am worried about my weight. I have always had a weight problem and I’ve tried diets, exercise, pills, but nothing works. I want to look beautiful for my wedding day and especially because the whole thing will be captured in photos that will last forever. At this point, I am willing to consider everything. I have heard about other brides that have undergone plastic surgery and am now thinking this might be my answer. What do you think?
Size 14 and Counting
We’ll go around this the back way. For the past couple of years, there’s been at least one plastic surgery booth at every bridal show I’ve ever been to. Liposuction, botox, brow lifts. Nipple squeeze toys as give aways (no, I’m serious). Tummy tucks, gastric bypass, I’ve seen them hawk it all. They know that brides want to look their best on their wedding day, and they’re pushing that candy right on the playground. Like you need any more stress and anxiety about making your wedding a perfect, perfect day.
Frankly, it pisses me off. Look, I’m not saying, “How could anyone have plastic surgery?” I get that, and God knows we all have our body issues. My concern is YOU. All I do is follow brides around. I watch them try on dresses, look at flowers, food tastings, faced with the pressure to pick the right thing. The right thing, not necessarily the thing they want. Or need, for that matter. There is always that implication that women face, whether they’re getting married or not: You’re not good enough, and you could be better. Why aren’t you better??
Or, even more infuriating, that your fiancé could do better. Look, you had those love handles before you got engaged and it didn’t stop him from proposing. Just like you love him for who he is, he loves you for you, the way you are. He’s got you, and they’re doing just fine.
Plus, IT’S SURGERY!!! It’s expensive, it’s debilitating, it’s painful, you’re going to have to take a couple of days off work, and everyone is going to notice you did it. And eventually, the fat, the sag, the wrinkles all come back. It’s not a permanent fix, just a temporary solution. A dress that fits you well, support garments, professional hair and make-up, a gel mani-pedi, and teeth whitening are also temporary solutions that will still make you look beautiful, but with less use of a wheelchair. I am just saying.
Have you considered plastic surgery, or other extreme measures to look your best on your wedding day? What do you think of my advice? Let me know in the comments below! And, if you would like to find out more about me and my little corner of Wedding World, go to www.silvercharmevents.com.
See you at the end of the aisle,
Confession: Wedding planning has turned me into a way more superficial brat than I used to be.
There’s nothing like imagining walking down the aisle with all those eyes on me, plus getting professional photographs taken of myself, to make me worry like crazy about how I will look.
Yes, I know everyone says brides ALWAYS look beautiful. I know I have dreadlocks so I won’t seem like a traditionally-styled bride no matter what, not that I want to. But I still feel tons of pressure to look my best! This pressure is mostly self-inflicted, and lately I’m just feeling like an ugly duckling!
Pardon the bitchfest for a moment, but my two main complaints are my weight and my skin. In a way, the weight is the easy one. Too many desserts and cervezas have taken their toll on my midsection, but if I really commit to healthier choices I know I can shed a few pounds by June. I don’t want to be unrealistic and go on a torturous diet, just lose the beer belly and get more fit! I know if I can pull it off I’ll feel much more confident on my wedding day!
My skin has always confused me. First of all, my skin tone is very uneven, freckly, and red. I blame the Irish in me. I’ve tried several different makeup regimens over the years but I always end up looking shiny by the end of the day. With an outdoor summer wedding, I’m really worried about looking like a sweaty beast in all the pictures! Secondly, I have really dark under-eye circles. No matter how much sleep I get or how little caffeine/alcohol I drink, they remain.
The concealers I’ve tried never really hide my circles as much as I’d like, and they too end up melting down my face after several hours. I’m really worried about how I’m going to DIY my wedding makeup when I’m not even satisfied with my day-to-day look! I’m terrified I won’t feel confident and I won’t like how I look in the photos. I know these concerns are totally stupid and conceited, but I can’t help feeling stressed about the beauty aspects of the big day!
Has anyone else been infected with Ugly Duckling Syndrome while planning “the most important day of your life”? Anyone have advice on longer-lasting makeup brands?
There are a lot of things that you need to consider when applying your makeup for a wedding–how will it look in person, in photographs, on video? How will it hold up after hours of dancing, eating, and happy tears? And how will you put your best face forward on one of the most photographed days of your life while still looking and feeling like yourself? It can be daunting! Fortunately, the Dinair airbrush makeup kit can tackle all of these issues with ease.
Dinair airbrush makeup applies smoothly and easily, with the ability to range from light to full coverage, depending on a person’s individual skin concerns, all without any heavy cakeiness. In our tests, we found that Dinair airbrush foundation holds up nearly 24 hours. It looks great in person, in still photographs, and in HD video–it’s like a makeup artist genie is trapped inside the compressor, and its sole magic power is making you look awesome. Plus, the foundation colors can be blended to match your skin tone perfectly, it cleans in a snap, AND it’s easy and hygienic to use to apply makeup to an entire bridal party!
This week, one lucky BAB will win a Dinair airbrush and makeup kit! With its gentle learning curve, you’ll soon be airbrushing like a pro and looking your very best all the time!
There are two ways to enter to win! Just subscribe to our Broke-Ass Brigade newsletter (if you haven’t already) or leave a comment on this blog post! Please make sure to leave an email address, twitter handle, or some other way to contact you in the body of your comment!
I have never been the best of friends with my skin. Mine’s always been a little on the tired side. Always a little looser than I’d prefer. But my biggest beef has always been with those pesky bumps on the backs of my upper arms! C’mon my fellow KP girls, you know this sob story… sing along!
So when I heard about Prtty Peaushun I was intrigued. When they sent me a bottle to review, I was excited. And when I saw the results… well, let’s just say I’m a convert for life! I used it on my arms with a strapless dress, and my skin had a glow from within that fooled even me. My skin looked tighter, and my bumps were hardly noticeable. I even mixed a dab with my tinted face moisturizer and just the other day a friend asked “what do you use on your skin? Its so pretty!” BOOYAH!
Seriously, whether you’re out for a night on the town, shopping for zucchini or getting married… Prtty Peaushun will take your skin from nude to duuuuuuuuude
The verdict? This product is my skin savior.
The good news? You can enter to win one of 2 free bottles of Prtty Peaushun, in the shade of your choosing, by commenting on any BAB post from the past week, and/or by signing up for our newsletter! UPDATE: THESE CONTESTS ARE CLOSED. CONGRATS TO OUR WINNERS!
We are so excited to have launched the Broke-Ass Bride Two point OHHHH! Now that the sleeplessness nights are over it’s time to celebrate and our favorite way to celebrate is a (cue oprah voice) giveAWAAAAAAAY!
You seasoned readers may remember our very popular Wedding in a Week Giveaway featuring the highly coveted Clarisonic. Well this is one of our personal favorite items of 2009. Of course Dana loves it ’cause it keeps her beautiful face all fresh and dewey but I am a big fan too. Uh, it’s like an electric toothbrush for your face…what’s not to like?
Well our peeps at Clarisonic are gonna hook our readers up again, but since it’s the holiday season we’re putting the spirit of giving on full blast. Not only are we gonna give, but so are you. We want you to nominate someone you think needs/deserves/would enjoy the Clarisonic. When we pick a winner, your nominee will recieve a clarisonic and so will you! Now your face gets to feel great AND your heart does too.
All you have to do is leave a comment with your nominee and reason (we love fun and creativity). Contest ends exactly one week from now. Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and a Delightful Kwanzaa from Clarisonic and your Broke-Ass Family!
Confession: I am a big spoiled baby. I want what I want, and I want it now. Trying to save money sure can interfere with all that wanting, so it just don’t come natural ’round these parts. But I fancy myself a clever girl, and one of my most magical tricks in my Marry Poppins (get it? wedding nerd alert!) bag-o-tricks, is finding little ways to save that add up to some phat-ass savings in no time! And, cuz I loves ya, I’m about to divulge 10 good’uns to get you started!
1. Ditch your pricey shaving cream, and use your hair conditioner instead. Its a moisturizing and soothing lubricant generous with clean shaves and soft skin. You should have plenty leftover, after all, you really need only condition the lower half of your hair on any given day.
2. Kick Pam and her spritzy sisters to the curb. Fill a dollar store spritzer bottle with your favorite cooking oil, and control your flow for less! Forget pricey spray-oil aerosol cans, for good. Psst, this also works with salad dressing, yo. DIY calorie cutting, made easy.
3. Cancel your home phone. Use your cell and get a Skype account (its free) to stay connected to your loved ones, and your money.
4. Cut the cable cord. Get a digital antennae to get the basic channels, and sign up for netflix to keep up with your favorite cable series, new releases, and old favorites. It might even help save you time by eliminating the temptation of hundreds of channels.
5. Special occasion? Go out for a late lunch date and call it early dinner at your favorite restaurant and avoid the nighttime markup. See the matinee instead of the evening show. Go to the zoo or museum.
6. Get your R&R on: Refill & Recycle. At 7-11 you can refill your Big Gulp (or any cup) for just $0.99. Starbucks offers free refills to card carrying customers, and is starting a rewards program beginning Dec. 26th. Now you can justify your habit by saving green and being green.
7. Shacking up? Get your plans in order: car insurance, cell phone and other types of rate plans often offer family discounts to cohabitors. Even if you’re not married yet, you can whet your palate with those sweet family bonuses! Also double check your used minutes for the past few months – you might find that you don’t need so many after all.
8. If you’re anything like us, your clothes are endlessly wrinkled (and possibly notsofresh). But don’t waste your pennies on Wrinkle Release or Febreeze sprays! An old theatre trick is to mix half vodka (use something cheap) and half water, with a few drops of your favorite scent, in a spray bottle. Mist over clothes that need a pick-me-up and smooth down. The vodka not only helps release wrinkles but also freshens the scent of your clothes! Works like a charm every time.
9. Practice patience. This is a hard one, but it really works. If you are on the verge of making a purchase that you fear feeling shopper’s remorse for later, put it down and say to yourself “if I still want it tomorrow, I’ll come back for it (or buy it online)”. The pressure of wedding plans can make a girl feel rushed into many decisions just to be able to cross another item off the list. But don’t fall prey to panic spending. Use a sleep on it policy as often as possible, it could save you a bundle!
10. Forget your troubles, c’mon get happy… hours, that is! Learn the happy hour deals at your favorite haunts to score stellar savings while maintaining a social life and blowing off some steam. Within blocks of our house there are $2.50 margaritas to be had, people. I ain’t afraid to tell you, I know a good happy hour within 10 minutes of my house for every day of the week. It’s essential.
So go forth and save! … but first dish up some tips of your own, maybe they’ll be in the next top ten.
Oh hello. Could you get any cuter?
I require a few of these delicious creations from Old Soul New Heart. My mom thoughtfully forwarded me today’s Daily Candy featuring these sweeties, which is extra nice when you consider that the duo behind Old Soul New Heart is a mother-daughter team, who keep it real by mixing vintage notions with modern twists, and make a bad hair day into something fun. Headbands, necklaces, and belts – oh my, I just love them!
I also love the prices – everything is less than $65. Wouldn’t a row of badass bridesmaids absolutely kill it in a sampling of these? Maybe they’d dress up your rehearsal look with just the right amount of jazz? I know my Tuesday would be greatly improved with a little headband action….
What about using one of these belts as a wedding dress sash? I DIE!!!!
The trouble is, of course, deciding between them all! Which one should I get? Which is your favorite?
Here are some great ways to save beacoup dinero that have come to my attention, that I just had to share with y’all!
Win a free honeymoon! PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com is having a contest which runs from May 1st to June 30th, and the winner will receive a $2,000 Marriott Honeymoon TravelCard redeemable at any Marriott hotel, anywhere in the world. The TravelCard can be used for anything at the hotel including room nights, spa treatments, golf, and even breakfast in bed. Marriott has over 3,000 hotels in amazing spots like Hawaii, the Cayman Islands, London, Paris, Thailand…just to name a few. Brides can enter once per email address per day using the contest entry form. (http://www.
These two dealios are for my local SoCal gals:
The Eleanor Group is having a Mother’s Day special on their fabulous Eleanor Cards! For just $49 (normally $65) you can get a card valid for 4 spa services, valued at over $300, at a local spa/salon. Hunter and I did this last year and it was such a tremendous luxury (and totally legit). Check out www.theeleanorgroup.com and enter code TEGmom at checkout for the discount price. What a great way to pamper yourself for the big day, without big pay!
Deborah Lindquist – eco-friendly fashion maven (and my dress designer) is having a big sale at her NoHo boutique this weekend, May 2 from 9-5 and May 3 from 9-4pm. Everything is 50% off, except custom orders and (sorry) wedding dresses. Her clothing line is redonkulously adorable and all environmentally friendly, check it out at deborahlindquist.com
Go forth and save, my pretties!
Some times I look at my skin and just sigh. What am I doing wrong? I drink a lot of water. Sure I’m still weaning myself off the junk (and by “the junk” I mean diet coke); but I wash twice a day and moisturize as much. I take vitamins. I take EFAs. Hell, I even exfoliate! What’s a gal gotta do for a darling, dewy ‘dermis?
A couple of weeks ago, I had a makeup trial from a woman with skin you wouldn’t believe. She is dewy, radiant, positively luminous, and she specializes in skin care. I mean, she’s so healthy looking, you kinda want to lick her to see if she tastes like kale; and she’s so adorable, you want to put her in a baby-bjorn and carry her around (but that’s another story). Her background is in cosmetic dermatology, but she’s moving toward a holistic approach. She also happens to be dating Mr. Murad’s son, so you know sister’s got an ‘in’ with the best of the best.
She saw right away that my skin is stressed. My pH balance was off, she claimed. When I told her I was using Neutrogena acne wash, she went white as a ghost. Apparently, the little bumpies on my forehead weren’t zits from too much oil, they were a reaction to a too-harsh cleanser!
I’ve always loved to pamper myself with good skin care products, but for the past year or so, we’ve been buying the bargain-basement, bottom of the barrel drugstore brands to save money for the wedding. Now that we’re almost there, I found myself cursing that move, because my skin was looking less like a glowing bride and more like a greying cadaver.
My skincare friend sent me off with some samples from a line called Epicuren, which is touted for its natural, green approach and an enzyme protein complex, which apparently encourages skin to self-rejuvenate. While this line is a little more expensive ($35-$80), I have to say I was floored by the results. The bumps were gone, my skin shined like a babies bum. One could rationalize its purchase, if one was looking for a reason to do so – word on the street is each bottle lasts around 6 months…
But if your beauty budget is straight up maxed out, how about DIY skincare/beauty? You can repurpose household items to skip the middleman and keep it natural – saving dollars and mother earth. Happy skin and a happy earth? The hippie in me is doing a happy dance.
Try these easy tips next time you’re craving a little broke-ass pampering:
- Buy a tub of organic coconut oil from the natural foods store, and use it as a smoothing, hydrating hair mask – liquefy enough to saturate hair, wrap in cling wrap, and let it soak in for 30-45 minutes. Wash out, but be careful – It makes for a slippery bathtub floor. I found a 10 oz. tub for $2.99 at Whole Foods, yo! Its also great for cooking, healing and moisturizing skin, and as a vitamin supplement.
- Mix 1 tsp natural yogurt with 1 tbsp soft honey (2 tsp if you’re dry), massage into skin and leave for 15 minutes. Wash with warm water. For oily skin, add a few drops of lemon/lime juice. The best part? Licking your fingers afterward.
- Feeling flakey? Mix roughly 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water to create a paste, and massage it into your face, body, or both. This is great way to gently exfoliate, that works even on the most sensitive of skins. Add a few drops of lemon juice to bump up the alpha-hydroxic qualities of the scrub, or a few drops of essential oil to soothe and aromatherapize. (what, its a word!)
- Soak it out. Put 1-3 cups whole oats in a muslin bag or old pantyhose, and let “steep” in bathwater with you. Add a few drops of lavender oil or some fresh herbs from your garden for an extra zen buzz. This is great for soothing a sunburn or itchy, dry skin.
I have found all of these things to be as luxurious and effective as store-brands (if not moreso). The only trouble I find with those recipes is that they might make you hungry, they’re that natural. There’s tons more homemade beauty solutions and recipes lurking around the internets, so go get you some! Your skin, your pocketbook and the environment will be showing you the love in return.
Have you ever made your own beauty product? Care to share the recipe?