Posts in the 'Shopbop' Category
Before we get down to the business of Gown Hunting, let’s take a moment to welcome our new BAB team member, Caitlyn, who did a bang-up job on her post last week! Kudos, Caitlyn!
And now back to the fashion frenzy, reader fanfanstella had the most eloquent way of phrasing her dress dilemma. In her comment to another CAI/GOI post, she said the Monique Lhuillier Sienna Chantilly Lace Gown “doesn’t come with a price tag as beautiful as the gown.” I hear ya, hon! That Chantilly lace is divine, and it has such an understated elegance in a delicate column silhouette with eyelash trim at the sweetheart neckline, so let’s get to work finding a replacement for under $1,500!
(And hey, if you weren’t already aware, we pay close attention to reader comments, so drop us a line if you need help finding that perfect gown!)
Faviana Lace Scoop Neck Dress (Style: 7439), $278 at Zappos
Theia Sweetheart Strapless Lace Gown, $1,495 at ShopBop
Nicole Miller Nina Bridal Gown, $1,200 at Zappos
Nicole Miller Lace Fantasy Gown, rent it for $185 at Rent The Runway
Lisa’s Bonus Pro Tip: The column style gown, otherwise known as a sheath style, can be curve hugging to the point of restricting movement. If you plan to break it down at your reception, do a “dress rehearsal” in the dressing room while trying on the gown. Test out a few of your signature moves so you’ll know what you’ve got to work with.
So did you get your Chantilly lace fix? I know I sure did! Which gown is your favorite? Let me know in the comments below!
Got a gown that you just can’t get off your mind? We’re happy to help you get over it! Just tell us in the comments below! Please remember to include the budget you’re working with so we can find you the best alternative for you.
*As always, please do your own research before buying a gown online. Team Broke-Ass is here to provide you with inspiration and resources, but it is up to the consumer to know what they’re purchasing.
Well hey there, October! It’s a big ol’ month here at BAB! Dana is GETTING FREAKING MARRIED on Sunday, I’m turning 30 next week and there are tons of awesome new projects in the works behind the scenes. Oh, and of course, there are sales and deals like you would believe going on! This Ten for the Weekend is brimming with some sweet sales, but the business cards below are my all-time favesies. Happy shopping, darlings!
1. LOFT is anteing up with a sweet 40% off your entire purchase including select Lou & Grey until midnight tomorrow (10/4).
2. Pump up your wardrobe without spending a ton. Boohoo is knocking 25% off autumn wardrobe essentials when you use code FALL4U until 10/5.
I think I’d live in this cardigan during the winter.
3. Go snag one of Flirty Aprons’ adorable smocks for 25% off + free shipping when you use code BOO25. 4. 15% Off Business Cards
4 Do you have business cards? I think everyone should have one, because you never know when you’ll have that perfect creative click with someone and you want them to be able to get a hold of you, and vice versa. Score some rad ones at Zazzle for 15% off with code PROFESSIONAL.
These will be my next ones. Mark my words. #sparklez
5. Support the boobies, in more ways than one! Hourglass Angel is knocking 10% off all orders of $50 or more through 10/7 with code BCA10 in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
6. Give your hair a whole new look, and take $10 off your first purchase of Madison Reed at-home hair color kits.
7. Throwing a monster bash for Halloween? Head over to Luna Bazaar and take 8% off Halloween decor with code HALLOWEEN8 at checkout.
8. Stock up on baubles! Gloss Jewelry is knocking a whopping 80% off everything in stock with code FALL80.
9. Know what I love? New sheets. Because OOMMMGGGGGG. BeddingStyle.com is skimming a cool 20% off designer bedding and bath when you use code FALL20 until 10/7.
10. I always try to save the best for last: Get thee over to ShopBop and take full advantage of one of their rare sales — save up to 70% on top brands!
It’s like the shoe gods are daring us not to shop this weekend, you guys. Seriously. There are so many sweet deals for killer kicks in this edition of Ten for the Weekend that you’ll be well-heeled and rarin’ to go without so much as a dent to your bank account. Also: Beach essentials to help you bid adieu to summer, #CraftOptions because … well … we won’t get into it and hair removal (have you tried lasering? It’s pricey, but WORTH IT.) deals to get through these dog days!
1. Shoe Deal # 1: Take 20% Off Your Next Order with code LEO through 8/31 at Heels.com!
2. Craftsy’s 50% off sale is still rockin’ and rollin’! If you’re aching to learn a new skill, now’s the time to get in on it!
I’d be super into checking out this class. I always feel like my travel pics fall a bit flat, ya know?
3. Shoe Deal #2: Bluefly is having a 2 day womens shoe sale, where you can save up to an extra 50% off.
4. Winter is coming, but that doesn’t mean you cant really get into the swing of the dog days of summer! Zappos is here to help with a sale on beach essentials!
5. Summer fun leaving you a little fuzzy? Groupon has a bevy of hair removal deals so you can spend less time primping and more time partying.
I would very much like these beauties on my feet right now plz.
7. If you’re too impatient to see if you’ve won this week’s giveaway, then I’ve got your back. Hourglass Angel is offering 10% off orders of $65 or more throughout the whole site with code 10Angel. Ends 8/13.
8. More #CraftOptions: Michael’s is getting on the 10% off train. Use code Storage101 at checkout!
Finding a long-sleeve dress that doesn’t look like a separate part of the dress – that’s this week’s challenge.
I need your help! I can’t afford Le Spose di Gio’s CL11 but am having trouble getting over it. Any ideas on stylish dresses where sleeves don’t look like add-ons?
Katie wants to spend no more than $1,200. Her budget wasn’t actually a challenge. Finding something that has stylish sleeves, however, was.
CAN’T AFFORD IT
GET OVER IT
Amanda Wakeley Draped Silk-Satin Gown ($728 at Outnet)
Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti Silk-Chiffon Gown ($917.60 at Outnet)
Evelyn Lace Beaded Wedding Gown (£750 at Phase Eight)
ISSA Cutout Long Sleeve Gown ($913 at Shopbop)
Another option to consider, if you can find a seamstress you trust, is buying a dress that provides the base you want – like the Angelique gown by J. Crew – and hiring someone to create the beautiful tulle overlay. This could create a look that’s closer to your vision while keeping you under budget. Given the modern look of your dress, going the route of having a dress made may be your best bet. Consider researching dress makers in your area. Perhaps you can save even more by having something specially made for you.
“Budget” has always been a word I kind of hate. It really kills the joy of shopping for, well, anything. But of course, it’s a very important factor when it comes to BAB weddings.
I fell in love with the Wtoo Olivia gown in oatmeal. I went to try it on and absolutely love it. I have been trying to find a used one to buy, but they are still out of budget. Do you have any ideas of similar looks I could try? I can’t seem to find anything like it. Thanks!!!
After chatting with our BAB, it turns out her magic number is $800. There’s always an opportunity to have fun on a budget. This is no different. As always, the key is being open-minded when it comes to all the little details…
CAN’T AFFORD IT
GET OVER IT
Taffeta Ball Gown with Layered Tulle Skirt ($299.99 at David’s Bridal)
Badgley Mischka Strapless Lace Gown ($715 at Shopbop)
BCBG Max Azria Magnolia Strapless Gown ($523.60 at Shopbop)
Tulle Ball Gown with Asymmetrical Draped Skirt ($699.99 at David’s Bridal)
The color is the hardest thing to really match up. Not all these options hit that hue right on the head, but we play around with a palette that goes from white to peachy pink to a golden, movie star hue. Hopefully there is something in here that catches your eye!