7/27 Real Bride Lucinda: DIY Wedding Success

Affiliate Disclaimer NewReal Bride Lucinda: DIY Wedding Success

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

We did it! On June 4, 2016, we tied the knot on a beautiful (and hot!) day outside of Boston, Mass. After over a year of planning, everything came together just like we wanted, including everything we DIY’d with all of our friends.

The biggest DIY of them all was my wedding dress, which was probably the hardest and most time-consuming sewing project I’ve made in my 20 years of sewing. I started planning what kind of dress I wanted to make in August 2015, bought all of my fabric in NYC in September, made my test dress to make sure my pattern fit in October, cut out all of my fabric for the final dress in December and steadily worked on constructing the dress from January to April. I could have made the dress a lot faster had I been laser-focused on getting it done, but with everything else that goes with wedding planning, I worked on it here and there when I had time between DIY projects. The good thing was that I wasn’t scrambling to finish it up to the last minute.

Real Bride Lucinda and her handmade wedding dress

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

The back of Lucinda's DIY wedding gown

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

My dress is from an Italian pattern company called Marfy — it has a sweetheart neckline, kimono cap sleeves and skirts that gather at the side waist. To make my dress, I used French lace, silk and silk georgette fabric. The belt is silk ribbon with small flowers I attached to it, made out of leftover silk fabric from my dress. I also added faux buttons up the back over the zipper to make it look like it was buttoned up. My accessories pictured above I bought from Etsy, but I made my veil out of English netting. Total cost for my dress and accessories: $600

I also found my makeup artist at Sephora when I got a free makeover last year, and my hairdresser who usually cuts and colors my hair did my updo. That was much more affordable than using someone who specializes in wedding hair and makeup, and I could afford to have all of the makeup done for my bridesmaids as part of their gift from me.

Clutches Lucinda made for herself and her bridesmaids

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

Lucinda poses with her bridesmaids

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

The weekend before the wedding, I got the idea to make coordinating clutches for all of the bridesmaids to carry their essentials with them to the wedding. I also made one for myself out of leftover lace from my bodice. Because you know, that’s what sane brides do a few days before their wedding, right?! #crazyoverhere

Crepe paper flower centerpieces and DIY table numbers

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

Our centerpieces were very simple with flowers we made out of floral crepe paper, bunches of baby’s breath and vases we found at The Dollar Store. The table number signs we bought at Michael’s craft store and the number holders we found through a restaurant supply company. Total cost of our centerpieces per table: $10

Simply decorated cake with DIY cake sign

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

Reserved signs for VIP family members

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

DIY labels on mini  Champagne favors

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

Our printables turned out even better than we thought they would!  We made signs for the cake table, place card table and bar with cute sayings and our wedding hashtag — easy peasy with some fancy fonts in Photoshop and printed out on our inkjet printer. We also thought it would be a nice touch to add “reserved” tags to the chairs of our parents and grandparents for the ceremony — really easy to customize using a free printable from Something Turquoise. The favors were a little tricky at first — my girls and I ended up scraping off the original labels on the mini champagne bottles (easier than soaking off the labels or using Goo-Gone) and stuck on the labels I made in Photoshop, tied the bottle with some ribbon and added a paper straw.  Total cost for 60 bottles: $150

Lucinda's friends pose in front of the DIY photo booth backdrop

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

Newlyweds pose in front of DIY photo booth backdrop

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

The photo booth backdrop was my favorite decoration for our wedding, and probably was the easiest DIY project. I found this fringey fabric at Joann Fabrics, added a backing fabric so it was less transparent, and sewed a casing at the top for the pole of the frame to go through. The frame is PVC piping that we sawed and assembled together with PVC connectors and caps, an easy tutorial we found on Pinterest. The balloons came from Oh Shiny! Paper Co. on Etsy and made the photos more festive. And it just so happened that one of our friends had a selfie prop kit that we used for silly photos. Total backdrop cost: $80

Lucinda and Chris pose for portraits

Credit: Maria Burton Photography

All in all, we wouldn’t have done our wedding any other way!!

Lucinda is a Boston-area craft-a-holic obsessed with sewing and knitting, as well as other crafty goodness, and blogs about creating a handmade wardrobe at Sew Wrong. When she's not sitting at her sewing machine, she can usually be found with her running shoes on or swimming laps at the local pool.
  • Danielle Griggs

    oh my gosh, I LOVE how your dress turned out. I’ve been stalking your posts waiting for the final reveal. Get it girl!